Tuesday, September 6, 2011

One of those Introductory Deals

To be honest, I've never been big on writing about myself.  Ask me to write a 12-page epic about a beaver who saves the world from a TV repair man and I'm all over it.  Ask me to write two paragraphs about my favorite middle-school memory and I freeze up.  I'm weird like that I suppose, which is a decent one-word descriptor for myself.  Not good, not bad, not smart, not dumb, just weird.  First thing you should know about me is that I am a gigantic fucking nerd.  Reading comic books more often than novels, collecting action figures, memorizing exchanges of dialogue from my favorite movies, the whole deal.  I've even been to a few conventions, including one which I attend annually.  I'm active on several message boards and even have a YouTube channel littered withsure to be classics for at least one eccentric loner.  Although my main geeky passion is arguably film, which I have the uncommon ability to both take seriously as an art form and mock relentlessly.  Must be too much MST3K.  I could sit here and bore you with sob stories about the various tough times I've had in my life or depress you with my family's current financial situation, but we just met, and I'd prefer to keep things lighthearted so, look! Ponies and video game references! 

Ahem.

Right, so why am I here?  At Columbia?  I want to be a filmmaker.  A director, specifically.  I've got a head full of ideas buzzing about like angry Waspinators and I'm ready to pour them out onto the silver screen and see what happens.  This means that I would be writing most of my own films, so naturally, I do like writing.  Although, as I said, I'm more adept at fiction than non-fiction.  If anything, from, this class specifically, I hope I can at least get more experienced with writing as a whole. 

I suppose that's all I have to say here, but trust me when I say there'll be a lot more to come.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Michael.
    Really love your voice n' excited to see the work you produce in this class. Specifically, I'm anxious for you to explore what it means to be a "nerd" or a "geek" in our society--the label is fluid, unfixed, and suseptible to a multitude of connotations (both positive and negative). You will write a paper later in the semester that explores the relationship between two labels you've been given. I'm interested to see what you come up with.
    Oh...and MTS3K? I used to love that stuff in HS...I believe a lot of them are on Netflix now.

    ReplyDelete