Wednesday, September 21, 2011

So, this Visual Rhetoric Project deal

I decided it's going to be about the portrayal of female characters in children's media. mainly western animation.  It's something I feel passionate about, although I'm not exactly sure why.  It's probably the years of being around my Good-Kind-Of-Crazy Feminist mother finally getting to the core of my brain.  Regardless, The argument I'm going for is to try and convey the importance of such characters in children's television.  Millions of kids watch TV every day, and it has a major influence on their perception of what is "normal" in the world.  Having shallow female characters, aside from being annoying from a writer's perspective, isn't doing gender relations any favors.  And beyond that, I really believe in not talking down to kids in their cartoons and despise the "it's just for the kids" excuse for poor writing. 

I plan on using the copious action figures that my nerdy crack-habit of a hobby has given me access to, in order to do some scenes which satirize a lot of tropes associated with female characters in cartoons.  I suppose that aspect specifically wold be using pathos to a degree, as it makes people laugh at the absurdity of the issue and draws more attention to it that way.  And of course, the ethos of using familiar characters.  
Also, I wonder about possibly using more of a photo comic format, as I feel it would convey the message better.  But by the time you read this, I'll have already asked you that (LOL, fourth wall, what's that?). 
The biggest obstacle (besides any technical difficulties) will be with inventing scenarios that properly convey what I want to say in a concise manner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment