Monday, September 19, 2011

This is Pac-Man.  You probably knew that already, though, which is how both you and I know that this is using ethos to its full effect.  The context is that of our current pop culture climate, which celebrates the nostalgic in a way that has never really been seen before, and given the generation that produces most media, "nostalgic" generally means 80's pop culture.  The result is a whole lot of homages to classic video games among other things.  I already talked a bit about this two entries ago, so I won't dwell on it too much, instead focusing on how I feel about this specific venture.  
There's nothing I can really bring against it on an objective or aesthetic level, as it's well done and I really enjoy the look of retro games, but part of me wishes it was something besides Pac-Man.  Not that Pac-Man is a bad game, but I personally never found it as appealing as some other classic games like Galaga and Dig-Dug.  And there's also the fact that I'm not very good at Pac-Man.  Which means when I look at this, I more think about repetitious failure than addictive fun.  But that starts to enter into realms of heavy, heavy bias, which are not that interesting to read about.  So instead, I'll comment on he image's placement.  It's fairly high up on the window of a tall building, which makes it a bit tricky to spot at first, but hard to ignore once you do, which is a very good way of letting your art grab someone's attention (we can argue about weather or not this is "art" all day, so let's just say the term is a short hand for whatever this is).  It certainly worked for me, and was effective enough to make me write a blog post about it. 

1 comment:

  1. Ya i would agree that that is art. I'm not that very good at pac man either it is pretty frustrating and makes me scared to be eaten by those guys when i'm playing. In other words it's too intense for me...ya pacman. I'm not sure about your definition of nostalgic and it's link to 80's pop culture. Do you think the 80s produced the most media? Good post i liked the choice of picture i've seen that walking down the road but didn't notice it on class day.

    ReplyDelete