Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Rambling about myself writing about myself

I've made mention on here that I don't particularly like writing about myself, and the memoir wasn't much of an exception.  While finally writing about the experiences I described was a great way to purge all of those old emotions, I still didn't really enjoy it.  It was more like a need than anything, and that may or may not come across in the final project.
Talking about what I like about my memoir, I can't say that there's anything that stands out.  I like to think I just did a solid job on it, though.  If anything, I think that talking about my dad dying, The Thermos Incident, and my time in the outpatient program helped the most with me purging those emotions further.  Talking about my latest episode and how I snapped out of it was somewhat less helpful, because the conflict and resolution of it was all internal, whereas the other two had more extraneous factors that I think led to a need for further purging.  If that makes any sense.
I think during a revision I might add more detail and possibly consult my mom for clarification of facts, but that's about it for straight-up revision.  I should note that if I could have an infinite amount of time, I would have done a video combining narration, talking head footage of me, and footage from Batman Begins and Gurren Lagann, because to me, the one thing I tried to convey to outsiders is just how much of an impact media can have on us and the way we see the world, and for Gurren Lagann especially, a text description doesn't do it justice.

1 comment:

  1. Heya, Michael.
    Glad to hear that you fulfilled a *need* in writing the memoir...sometimes art can be cathartic n' theraputic in purging emotions, but those processes aren't always fun to endur. It bespeaks a lot though, regarding the level of involvement you had with the project. It sounds like you really immersed yourself in the assignment, which is great.

    ReplyDelete