Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dese ppl yoose BIG wurds

Okay, so first off, I think it's pretty clear that the reason people reject the idea that transgenderism is a "disorder" is because that implication, at least in their minds, reeks of herd mentality and individual oppression.  Which, to a degree, it does.  While the approach most psychologists have is noble in terms of the long-term, it represses the child's current happiness and peace of mind.  The whole thing is a slippery slope, and I honestly don't know if I can make a solid conclusion.
As for Simm's decision, on an objective level, it's pretty much impossible to judge her decision until Brandon/Bridget grows up, but on an emotional level, I applaud her intentions and genuinely want things to work out for both her and Brandon/Bridget.  Going off of the "storyteller" language Rosin used, I'd say she has a similar outlook, but that may just be my own interpretation. 
Also, I'd like to say that their whole story would make an amazing movie.  But that's just the filmmaker in me.  Again.

Overall, I thought this was really fascinating.  It's refreshing to see two sides to an argument like this that doesn't just amount to the anti-side being all "IT'S NAWT WHAT GAWD INTENDEMATED!" And it actually made me think about my stance on the issue for a bit.  I still feel that switching genders is ultimately the decision of the individual who has those feelings, and that the negative side affects of going through with it ultimately stem from society, as opposed to anything biological or mentally internal, but I gotta give props to some of those psychologists on the other side of the coin for putting up a good argument.  Also, as for the approach to determining weather or not a child actually is transgender, it sounds like the Netherlands have it right.  I honestly think their approach makes the most sense and looks to have the most concrete results so far, but ultimately, I think it's going to be a while before a method is nailed down perfectly.  That's just the nature of this type of science.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Michael.
    You're right--the issue is a very slippery slope....I'm glad that you've come to that semi-conclusion, because it means you've really engaged yourself with the text and actively interacted with the author's ideas!

    ReplyDelete