So, this essay basically describes, in explicit detail, all the various psychological factors which shape our gender identity. It presents these factors in a way that is very scientific, even-handed, and kind of hard to argue with, leaving it all to interpretation of what it means for society as a whole.
Early on, the author talks about how children are so easily impressed upon with gener roles due to outside influences, and how pretty much everything they're exposed to shapes their perception of what is normal.
What was my VR project about?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! IN YOUR FACES!!!! I WAS RIGHT!!! PRAISE ME! PRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAISE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, ahem.
What I mean to say is that this provides a great deal of scientific evidence to support my theory about how the media children consume has a direct impact on how they perceive gender roles. While I don't particularly care for the very technical way in which it was written, it lays out its case in a fairly compelling way, and more importantly, makes me sound smart. Now there's a true feat of science.
Another thing I found interesting was the idea that it isn't until age 7 that children's ideas about gender are fully developed, this makes me wonder what would happen if a child was raised in a totally gender-neutral environment. I'm sure this is something scientists are also chomping at the bit to know, but is held off from being done due to ethical implications.
Aside from that, all I can say is that it was pretty good.
Heya, Michael.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you were able to connect the text back to your own VR project--nice work! I'm also interested in your dislike of Devor's "technical" language. Perhaps he was trying to compensate for any sort of bias reader might perceive him having (considering his circumstance) by speaking in an especially removed, especially steralized voice. Just a thought.....