There's no getting around the fact that this is late, and I can't say I have much of an excuse other than "Halloween," and if you know what I was doing for Halloween, you know that's not a particularly good excuse, so let's just get right into it.
It seems apparent that throughout the piece, Anyon is heavily implying that, depending on the average income of the area, schools have a tendency to train students in preparation for whatever jobs are most prevalent in that area. They are conditioned to put the same level of thought into their schoolwork that their parents put into their jobs, so that they are more likely to go into those fields and not do their own thing.
The sentence quoted seems to basically be saying what I just said. That the schools are training the kids to be carbon copies of their parents in relation to society. And I think that yes, it is fairly accurate. Of course there are exceptions (as always) but it is generally how it goes.
Overall, I felt like this article was fairly interesting, but didn't really capture my attention in any meaningful way. I've left the public school system, and am trying my best to forget about it for the time being. One of back-up careers is actually to be an English teacher, so obviously, I'm going to have to re-acquaint myself sometime, but for now, I just want to forget about it. It was a time in my life that I look at with very little fondness in terms of the schools themselves, and I'm extraordinarily glad to be here now. I understand how looking back on this time in our lives helps us understand how our identity was shaped, but for me, it was more the social aspect and things outside of school that shaped me, so even if I'm talking about school in those terms, I'm going to hit a wall in terms of things to talk about pretty fast.
Hey, Michael.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't worry too much about the blog being late. I take 20% per day, so that's only 2 points for this blog.
Your comments regarding the implications of Anyon's research are accurate and clearly stated. Nice work. I'm sorry to hear of your unfortunate experiences with the public school system. At Columbia (and most undergraduate institutions), you're granted the autonomy to dictate your own routines and academic persuits. This can feel so refreshing in relation to the restrictive nature of public grade and secondary schools.
Hey Mike,
ReplyDeleteI would like to add that your statements are related to my thoughts exactly. The only thing that was different for me was that I let the community (in school) shape me rather than my extracurricular life. It was hard to get to know myself and I acted how others viewed me. I am glad to have come to such a great school that let me explore my thoughts. I am grateful to know what it's like to be me.