Two things stand out to me immediately as ways my family shaped my identity early on in my life. First is my Uncle. As I've said before, my father died when I was very young, so that sort of figure had to come from elsewhere in my life. When we met, my Uncle would often give me a lot of advice, stories, and general tidbits that he felt would help me out later in life. I can't recall many specifics, and anything that stuck with me has long since melded into my subconscious, so I can't say much else about it.
The second is my mother. A lot of ideals my mother has have been burned into my own mind, but the most prominent would probably be her feminism. For the longest time, I didn't like girls. I'm not sure why, and it seems stupid and embarrassing in retrospect, but I guess between her hammering those ideas into my head and my own intellectual awakenings, something clicked. And now, here I am making visual rhetoric projects about female characters in cartoons.
As for now, well, I tend to be myself around my family, the only real differences being that I'm a little more reserved around extended family and try not to swear in front of my mother, which is just a courtesy thing. Really my interactions with my family are pretty boring, and as time goes on, I think less and less of what they think of me.
Hey, Michael.
ReplyDeleteI'm really interested in the "feminism" you mention your mom possessing. It sounds as if you've adopted her interests into your own intellectual pursuits (i.e. your visual rhetoric project). This might be something to add into your identity paper--I'm thinking the "culture geek" portion.